Champawat

GROUP OF BALESHWAR TEMPLES

Location:Lat. 29° 20'11" N Long. 80° 05'31" E

NOTIFICATION NO.: UP-1233-M/367-36:1916/-/13.10.1916

This group of temple was constructed during 14 Cent. A.D. by Chand rulers of the region. The temples comprises of both latina, shikihara and sekhri shikara type However, their significance lies in the fact that the two main temple in complex are composed of double mula-prasadas(sanctum sanctorum)each of which is preceded by a mandapa which in turn are joined in axial length. The entire temple complex is in dilapidated condition and the majority of the architectural members have been taken away by the vandals. However, large number of the stone images are still available at the site.

KOTWALI CHABUTRA

Location:Lat. 29° 20'11" N Long. 80° 05'31" E

NOTIFICATION NO.: UP-1233-M/367-36:1916/-/13.10.1916

It is a stone square pavilion measuring 2.75m with an height of 0.83m.locally called Chaumra or Chabutra. Such structures are found through out length and breath of the Central Himalaya. Available evidence suggests that this chabutra was highly ornamented with elaborate roof called Chatri. The purpose of such platform is not known, but it is locally believed that this is the place from where king used to deliver justice.

NAULA OR COVERED SPRING ATTACHED OF THE BALESHWAR TEMPLE

Location:Lat. 29° 38'19" N; Long. 79° 51'16" E

NOTIFICATION NO.: UP-1233-M/367-36:1916/-/13.10.1916

This is one among the important water structure in this region. Attached to the south of the temple premises, this rectangular structure is built below the ground level in which water oozing from the ground is collected. The tank is raised with two parallel wall on each side slightly above the ground level to prevent the flow of the rain water. The superstructure is made of dressed stone masonry with conical sloping roof of stone slab supported by stone beams laid in lantern pattern.