Geo- Coordinates- Lat. 30° 28' 8" N, Long. 79° 16'15" E

Notification No & Date-F-04-09/62-C-1: October-1962

Gopeshwar appears to have been major temple site located about 10km. away from Chamoli on the way to Ukhimath. The presence of some twenty-one amalasaraka of different sizes found within the compound of the main temple suggesting the existence of many more temple at the site while now only a few temple survived. The main temple locally known as Gopinath/Rudranath is dedicated to Siva, the object of worship being a svayambhu-linga. It is built in Nagara style with a Latina sikhara. Triratha on plan and elevation its sikhara is adorned with chaitya motif all over, hence termed as jala sikhara in architectural canons. Some of these chaitya motifs are adorned with bhadramukhas. The chandrasala of its tall sukanasa shows Siva in his Nataraja form. Stylistically, this temple has close similarity with the Mrityunjaya temple, Jageshwar, both in terms of plan and elevation as well as ornamentation and assignable to eighth century AD, The mandapa of the main temple is a later addition. Besides, there are three miniature shrines, one of which is of valabhi style dateable to tenth century AD. In addition, there are two double storied building built in tradition at style known as Baradari & Rawal Niwas.


Geo- Coordinates- Lat. 30° 28' 8" N, Long. 79° 16'15" E

Notification No & Date-1669/1133-M/-/27/12/1920

Within the Rudranath/Gopinath temple complex there is a colossal metal trident measuring over 5feet high with a diameter of 20cm. Inscribed in late Brahmi characters of sixth-seventh century AD recording its erection in front of the temple of Rudra by one Ganapatinaga. Interestingly, in course of time, this trident seems to have fallen down and it was restored to its present position by King Asoka Challa of Dulu, western Nepal (1191 A.D.), as we learn from his inscription on the same trident engraved in Nagari characters. Atkinson reads this name as Aneka Malla, however, recent studies have shown that Atkinson's reading is erroneous and the correct reading is Asoka Challa.


Geo-Coordinates- Lat. 30° 37'59"N, Long. 79° 35'30" E

Notification No & Date-F-4-2(2)/42 F&L, 05.03.1942

Known as Yogadhyanbadri and Vasudevabadri, these temples are dedicated to Lord Vishnu constructed at Pandukeshwar, at a distance of about 20km. from Joshimath on way to Badrinath. The Yogadhyanbadri temple consists of a garbhagriha, antarala and manadapa. Both, the garbhagriha and the mandapa are square on plan, devoid of any ratha proliferations but has a curious design in elevation. Its varandika rising from the square khurachhadya base is circular on plan which is carried into the elevation through the sikhara up to the shoulder, which in turn with its perfects curve coalesces with the neck of the temple, thus looking like a cylindrical dome. The another temple known as Vasudevabadri is rekha shikhara temple. Stylistically these temples are assignable to 9th -10th Cent. AD. Recently, Archaeological Survey of India exposed remains of one more temples in same complex and restored. This temple is locally known as Laxminarayan temple. Hence there are three temples exist in the complex.


Geo- Coordinates-Lat 30° 09'19" N, Long. 79° 16'10" E

Notification No & Date-1669/1133-M/-/27/12/1920

Situated about 25 km. from Karanprayag on way to Dwarahat (Kumaon), this group of temples is known as Adibadridham, one of the five Badries viz Adibadri, Dhyanbadri, Yogabadri, Bhavishatbadri and Vishalbadri. It is believed that originally there were 16 temples out of which only 14 remains now. On the basis of architectural features, construction of these temples can be, between Circa 8th - 12th cent. A.D.

The main temple in the group is dedicated to Lord Vishnu while other subsidiary shrines are attributed to Shri Lakshminarayan, Gaurishankar, Annapurna, Surya, Satyanarayan, Ganesha, Siva, Garuda, Durga, of Janki etc.


Geo- Coordinates- Lat 30° 10'32" N, Long79° 13' E

Notification No & Date-1669/1133-M/-/27/12/1920

It is believed that this Fort was the seat of Kanak Pal, the actual founder of the present Garhwal dynasty, whose descendant Ajaipal consolidated the Raj of Garhwal. The fort is situated on the peak of a hillock at a height of about 100m. from the road. Scientific clearance carried out by ASI revealed ruins of the palace complex on the top and residential structure on the hill slope. It is a multistoried structural complex with provision of the chambers for the attendants. In addition to working floor, terracotta pipes, a circular well with lime plaster either for storing the grains or for water, are found. Carvings on stone beams in the construction of top story suggest its construction around 14th century AD.


This seven lines inscription is inscribed on the rock surface in reserve forest area at a distance of about 6km. from Mandal on the way to Goddess Ansuya temple. One has to reach here through a deep forest on the hill via village Siroli. Inscribed in northern Brahmin script in Sanskrit language the inscription refer to Naravarman records the construction of water-through by him. Paleographically the inscription is datable to 6th century AD.