Almora

JAGESHWAR TEMPLE (PHULAI GUNTH)

Geo-Coordinates:Lat. 29° 38'19" N; Long. 79° 51'16" E

NOTIFICATION NO.: 896-M/367-28:20/28-05-1915

This is one of the most sacred temple complex in this region. The inscriptions testify to the presence of shrines here in the eighth century and these were, in all probability not the first erected at this spot. A remodelling of the entire institution is, perhaps with some truth attributed to the reformer Sankaracharya. It is in the time of the Katyuri of Central Himalaya that the construction of temple activities has taken place in the large scale and perhaps the temple of the Jageshwar have been reconstructed in the present temple form.

The Jageshwar temple locally known as Jagnath (Lord Shiva as Yogishwara) gives its name to the site. Facing west, it consists of triratha sanctum with curvilinear sikhara followed by a mandapa having pyramidal roof. The original roof of the mandapa have fallen down and is replaced now with the metallic sheets. The temple is datable to circa eight century AD as per stylistic considerations.

MRITUNJAYA TEMPLE (PHULAI GUNTH)

Geo-Coordinates:Lat. 29° 38'19" N; Long. 79° 51'16" E

NOTIFICATION NO.: 896-M/367-28:20/28-05-1915

This is another important Siva temple in the Jageshwar group of temple. Stand apposite to Jagnath temple this east facing temple is built in latin sikhara style consists of triratha sanctum, antrarala followed by pillared mandapa. The pyramidal roof of mandapa must have been t provided originally with stone slabs which has been replaced by metallic sheets later on. It has panchanga-bada. The pabhaga mouldings are high and three in number. The central ratha have large niches extending upto upper jangha while the subsidiary rathas have separate niches at talajangha and upper jangha. The bandana is formed by a single moulding. The bada is demarcated from sikhara by a single moulding of varanda having relieved frieze of chaitya motif. The shikhara rises upto four bhumis, separated by bhumi amlas. Above the visam course, the neck and amalakasila are visible though covered under huge canopy. The highly pronounced suknasa rises upto first bhumis and have a big ornate medallion. The lower compartment of the medallion contains the figure of Lakulisa with disciples and the upper one contains usual trimurti called Panchanana Siva. Stylistically, the temple can be dated to circa eighth century A.D.

DANDESHWAR TEMPLE (KOTULI AND CHANDHOK GUNTH)

Geo- Coordinates- Lat. 29° 38' 5" N; Long. 79° 50'35" E

NOTIFICATION NO.: 896-M/367-28:20/28-05-1915

Dedicated to lord Siva, this temple stand, in the vicinity of Jageshwar, before the main temple complex. In conception, this temple is close to phamsana sikhar type, but unlike the latter, their respective sikharas rises in three to four receding kandhara, each surmounted by a kumbha moulding. The evidence shows that originally temple consists of a sanctum, vestibule followed by mandapa in plan but mandapa is completely missing now. Stylistically this temple is assignable to the 9th -10th century AD.

KUBER TEMPLE (PHULAI GUNTH)

Geo- Coordinates- Lat. 29° 38'19" N; Long. 79° 51'16" E

NOTIFICATION NO.: 896-M/367-28:20/28-05-1915

This is a small rekha shrine standing on a raised ground near Chandika temple. Though smaller in dimensions, this temple resembles with the architecture of Mahamritunjaya temple, Jagashwar. The Sikhara is crowned by an akasa linga above the amalaka-sila.

CHANDIKA TEMPLE (PHULAI GUNTH)

Geo-Coordinates: Lat. 29° 38'19" N; Long. 79° 51'16" E

NOTIFICATION NO.: 896-M/367-28:20/28-05-1915

This is a Valabhi type sikhara temple dedicated to Goddess Chandika. Generally this type of temples are dedicated to Sakti cult. Rectangular on plan, its elevation up to varandika is also rectangular, above which is raised a Valabhi Sikhara in two curvilinear courses with a plain sunk moulding in between and terminating in a ridged roof. Entrance of the temple is given invariably from the corner. Stylistically, the temple can be dated to circa eight - ninth century A.D.

NANDA DEVI OR NAU DURGA, JAGESHWAR

Location:Lat. 29° 38'19" N; Long. 79° 51'16" E

NOTIFICATION NO.: 896-M/367-28:20/28-05-1915

This is a Valabhi sikhara type temple built within the enclosure wall of Jageshwar Group of temple. Attributed to Goddess Nanda Devi this temple locally known as Nau Durga Temple. The plan and elevation of this temple is same as in the case of the Chandika Temple. In addition there are three more similar shrines in the group dedicated to Kalika, Pushti-devi and Chandika temple respectively also built in Valabhi sikhara style.

NAVA GRAHA SHRINE, (PHULAI GUNTH, JAGESHWAR)

Location:Lat. 29° 38'19" N; Long. 79° 51'16" E

NOTIFICATION NO.: 896-M/367-28:20/28-05-1915

Standing to the north of the Surya temple in the Jageshwar temple complex, this temple is devoid of any architectural feature with a relief of Navagraha penal depicted on lintel of the temple. The image of Surya is carved in its usual long boot holding full bloomed lotus flower in both hands while Rahu is represented by a head and Ketu with a snake canopy. Remaining grahas carries a water pot (Kmandalu) in the left hand and a mala in the raised right hand. A low relief band of a scroll ornament on the upper edge of the slab, is of a pleasing character.

PYRAMIDAL SHRINE (PHULAI GUNTH)

Location:Lat. 29° 38'19" N; Long. 79° 51'16" E

NOTIFICATION NO.: 896-M/367-28:20/28-05-1915

Just on the back of Jagnath temple within the temple premises there are two pyramidical shrines of Phamsana sikhara type. Rectangular on plan and elevation, the sikhara of both the temple is composed of receding horizontal alternating course of projected and sunk mouldings called pidha, hence also known as pidha-deval. On plan the temples have a grabhgriha (sanctum sanctorum) preceded by a kapili (vastibule) without any subsidiary components.

SHRINE DEDICATED TO SURYA (PHULAI GUNTH), JAGESHWAR

Location:Lat. 29° 38'19" N; Long. 79° 51'16" E

NOTIFICATION NO.: 896-M/367-28:20/28-05-1915

This is a small rekha sikhar temple of usual architectural features. Dedicated to Sun God it consists of Triratha Grabhgriha with projected portico. The sanctum is devoided of any image while Sun God with his chariot is carved on lintel, suggest this temple is to be associated with Saura worship. On the basis of the architectural style this temple is assignable is 14 Cent. AD.

A LARGE TEMPLE DEDICATED TO SUN (KATARMAL)

Geo-Coordinates- Lat. 29° 46' 32' N; Long. 79° 25' 49'E

NOTIFICATION NO.: UP-1669/1133-M:27-12-1920

Locally known as "Bara Aditya" or the great Sun God, this temple is one among the tallest temples in the region. In addition to main temple, there are 44 subsidiary shrines built on a raised platform on hill slope entered through flight of steps from east. The main shrine, facing east,consists of a tri-ratha grbahagriha followed by a gabled roof mandapa a later addition in plan. The beautifully carved wooden beam presently displayed in the National Museum, New Delhi and backed brickbats available at the site suggest that originally the temple was made of brick and wooden architectural members which might have been replaced by existing stone temple during 12th-13th century AD. However subsidiary shrines in the complex shows the continuity of construction of temples at Katarmal even in the later date. There are large numbers of stone sculptures of various Brhaminical deities placed in the sanctum. In addition to stone image of Sun god, there is a wooden image, almost disintegrated, seems to be under worship prior to the existing temple.

BADRINATH GROUP OF TEMPLES (DWARAHAT)

Geo- Coordinates Lat. 29° 46' 32' N; Long. 79° 25' 49'E

Notification No. U.P, 830-M/367-28/-/10/15.05.1915

There are three temples in this group, of which the main temple is dedicated to Lord Vishnu, worshiped as Baddrinath. Facing east, it consists of garbhgriha, antrala and mandapa, however mandapa is missing now. On elevation the temple has mouldings of kumbha, kalash & kapota-pattika followed by shikhra consisting of bhumi amlaka toped with kalasha. The black stone image of vishnu is under worship, bear an inscription of samvat 1105, suggesting the date of the construction of the temple in 1048 AD. There are two more miniature shrine in the group, one is dedicated to Godess Laxmi while other is devoid of any image.

BANDEO TEMPLE (DWARAHAT)

Geo- Coordinates- Lat. 29° 46' 32' N; Long. 79° 25' 49'E

Notification No. U.P, 830-M/367-28/-/10/15.05.1915

Standing in the midst to the cultivated fields on the bank of a small stream, known as Khiru Ganga, this pyramidical shrine, known as pahmnas shikhar temple, represents the earliest extent developed temple of central Himayala. Rectangular on plan, the elevation of the shikhara is composed of receding horizontal courses of projected and sank moulding called pidha, hence, known as pidha deval in some architectural canons. The temple is presently without any image.

GUJAR DEO TEMPLE (DWARAHAT)

Geo- Coordinates- Lat. 29° 46' 32' N; Long. 79° 25' 49'E

Notification No. U.P, 830-M/367-28/-/ 10/15.05.1915

Though in a dilapidated condition, this temple, can be described as a masters piece of temple architecture of the region of Sekhari shikhara type. It is an orthogonal temple with panchratha plan. In elevation shikhara of the temple is composed of small replicas of latina sihkhara arranged in receding order one above another. Because of these multiple miniature shikharas, it is called sekhari. This temple represents the most developed type of nagara temples (north Indian type) of Central Himalaya. On the basis of architecture and sculptural art, it may be dated to 13th Cent. AD. The latina and sekhari sikhara type temples are the only structures having subsidiary components like mandapa, gudhamandapa, rangamanadapa, mukhamandapa and arddhha-mandapa.

KACHERI GROUP OF TEMPLE (DWARAHAT)

Geo- Coordinates-Lat. 29° 46' 32' N; Long. 79° 25' 49'E

Notification No. U.P, 830-M/367-28/-/10/15.05.1915

There are twelve shrines in this group, five each living in two rows while the remaining two stands separate on higher terrace. Stylistically, these temples can be placed to circa eleventh to thirteenth century A.D.. Though, these temples are relatively stunted, their stylistic similarities bring them very near to the Ratan Deo temples at Dwarahat. These shrines have a common portico with series of free standing pillars with plain shafts and brackets in front. These temples were dedicated alternatively to Siva and Vishnu. This fact is ascertained from the existence of an outlet for sacrificial water (somasutra) which has to be provided in a Linga and the pedestal against the back-wall to install the image of Vishnu. There is also a circular well made of stone blocks in the complex.

KUTUMBARI TEMPLE (DWARAHAT)

Geo-Coordinates-Lat. 29° 46' 32' N; Long. 79° 25' 49'E

Notification No. U.P, 830-M/367-28/-/ 10/15.05.1915

Originally located on the higher slope of the hill, presently Kutumbari temple is now lost completely, however, architectural members of the temple can be seen on the houses near by. A detail survey was carried out by Dehradun Circle in 2000 revealed that the Kutumbari temple was is existence upto 1950. Available photograph revealed that this rekha sikhara temple was in dilapidated condition and have been fallen down sometime between1950-1960. All architectural members have been taken away by villagers for construction which can still be seen on the wall of existing houses.

MANIYAN GROUP OF TEMPLES (DWARAHAT)

Geo-Coordinates- Lat. 29° 46' 32' N; Long. 79° 25' 49'E

Notification No. U.P, 830-M/367-28/-/ 10/15.05.1915

Earlier there were seven temples in the group but recent scientific clearance has revealed remains of foundation of two more shrines, hence in all there are nine shrines in Maniyan group. Four shrines are built in a way that it constitutes a single component with a common courtyard in front. Images of the Jain thirthankara on lintel of three shrines suggest that these shrines are dedicated to Jain sect which generally are not found in this region. However, remaining shrines seems to be dedicated to Brahmincal deities. Stylistically this group of temple is assignable to 11th - 13th Cent. AD.

MRITUNJAYA GROUP (DWARAHAT)

Geo-Coordinates-Lat. 29° 46' 32' N; Long. 79° 25' 49'E

Notification No. U.P, 830-M/367-28/-/ 10/15.05.1915

This is one of the most sacred group of temple at Dwarahat. Main temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva, known as a Mritunjaya (Vanquisher of death). Facing east, this nagara sikhara temple is thriratha on plan consisting of garbhgriha, antarala followed by mandapa in same axis. Stylistically this temple is assignable to 11th -12th Century AD. There is a another temple dedicated to Bhairava in same complex while other shrines are devoid of any images and are in ruined condition.

RATAN DEO SHRINES (DWARAHAT)

Geo-Coordinates: Lat. 29° 46' 32' N; Long. 79° 25' 49'E

Notification No. U.P, 830-M/367-28/-/10/15.05.1915

Originally, the Ratan Deo Temple Complex comprises of nine shrines. However, presently only six temples ere intact. Three temples stands on a common platform preceded by a north facing common oblong mandapa probably each dedicated to god Brahma, Vishnu and Siva. Among the subsidiary shrines, one stands on the west and other two on the east facing each other dedicated to other Brahmanical deities. Having curvilinear element in the Sikhara, the Ratan Deo shrines have also a trianga-bada. The shrines under this group look more tapering than the rest of Dwarahat temples. The volume of the jangha seems to be more than that of the sikhara. Stylistically, these temples can be placed between 11th-13th century AD.